Many patients struggle with hair loss and the insecurities that often go along with it. To help patients regain the full head of hair they desire, Dr. Louis DeJoseph, a triple board-certified plastic surgeon in Atlanta, GA, performs follicular unit hair transplantation (FUT) procedures to provide dramatic hair restoration. Male and female patients who have thinning hair, bald spots, and/or receding hairlines are great candidates for this popular and effective procedure. Dr. DeJoseph customizes each procedure to help patients achieve natural results that meet their individual goals.
A FUT Hair Transplant Procedure with Premier Image
A FUT hair transplant procedure with Premier Image is performed in an in-office procedure suite at Premier Image Cosmetic and Laser Surgery. The patient sits in a large reclining chair. Soft pillows are provided as requested by the patient. After the patient is completely comfortable and relaxed, mild sedation is administered and the doctor performs the procedure using the following steps:
- A small strip of hair is taken from the back of the head
- Hair from the strip is divided into individual hair units
- A special instrument is used to prepare very small areas where the doctor then places the individual units of hair
Total procedure time is dependent upon the number of units that are transplanted.
*Each patient is unique and individual results may vary.
A FUT hair transplant procedure is used to treat thinning hair, bald spots, and/or a receding hairline. The procedure is commonly performed on both male and female patients. Generally, the procedure is reserved for patients who have no serious medical conditions, a positive outlook, and realistic expectations. Patients who smoke will be asked to stop prior to surgery, as cigarettes negatively impact surgery and healing. The definitive way for patients to find out if they are a candidate is to attend an initial consultation with Premier Image.
An Initial FUT Hair Transplant Consultation
An initial FUT hair transplant consultation with Premier Image is very thorough. A consultation consists of the following:
- A patient evaluation. The doctor evaluates the patient’s age, amount of hair loss, and facial structure. Long-term goals are discussed.
- A physical examination. The doctor examines the hair and scalp. Areas where there are baldness and thinning hair are noted. Pictures are taken for comparison purposes.
- A customized treatment plan. The doctor creates a customized treatment plan that will help the patient reach their goals. If patients are candidates for a FUT hair transplant, the doctor explains everything we will do during the procedure to help the patient achieve the results they desire.
Before patients make the decision to undergo a FUT hair transplant procedure, Premier Image invites them to ask any questions or state any concerns so we may appropriately answer and address them. Patients who choose to have the procedure generally feel confident and relaxed and are excited about having a full head of hair once again.
Patients are allowed to return home shortly after their procedure. Premier Image recommends that a family member or friend stay with patients for at least 24-48 hours. Post-operative swelling and pain can be easily managed by following the doctor’s postoperative instructions. Rogaine® and 2% minoxidol are prescribed during the recovery process to help transplanted hair become thick and healthy.
- Numbness, tingling, or similar sensations along the top and back of the head is not uncommon, and totally normal. This can take several weeks, occasionally months, to resolve on its own.
- The transplanted hairs often will fall out with the crusts as soon as 5 to 8 days after the procedure. Do not panic for these are only the hair shafts, while the hair follicles remain in the scalp. Most of the rest of the transplanted hairs will fall out over the next 2 weeks. In as soon as 4 months, the new hair shafts will begin to grow in a natural fashion and will continue to grow at the normal rate of ½ to ¾ inch per month. It can take 8 to 12 months for most of the hairs to grow in. Occasionally, it may be up to 14 months before all of the hairs regrow.
- To accelerate the growth of the new hairs, you can apply 5% minoxidil [Rogain® Foam is often preferred] once or twice daily starting 3 weeks after the procedure. Female patients should use 2% minoxidil. If the minoxidil should cause redness or irritation of the scalp, stop using it for one week and then resume once every other day. Once the hairs begin to grow in, at around 5 months, the minoxidil can be stopped, and the transplanted hairs will continue to grow. The occasional patient can be sensitive to minoxidil and may experience scalp itching, chest palpitations, or lightheadedness, and in these cases, it should be discontinued.
- There are several ways to camouflage any evidence of a procedure during the first week before the crusts fall off. You can bring a bandana to wear out of the office and can begin to wear a hat as soon as the first day after.
- For most patients, there is some mild pinkness of the scalp, which usually resolved within a week. You may have your hair cut as soon as 2 weeks after the procedure, being careful not to cut the hair too short during the healing. Hair coloring is permitted 3 weeks after your procedure.
Following recovery, most patients will enjoy a full head of hair–permanently. They can expect to have excellent hair density, a more natural hair direction, and a restored hairline. There are no visible distortions in the transplanted areas. After the transplant, patients should expect the transplanted hair to fall out initially. This should not be cause for alarm, as it is a normal part of the process. After this is complete, a general timeline in which patients can expect to see results is as follows:
- 3-4 months. Hair growth begins to show.
- 5-6 months. Hair has grown 1-3 inches.
- 8-12 months. Final results.
Final results are permanent. Transplanted hair continues to grow and does not fall out.
Dear Dr DeJoseph, Thanks a lot to you and your team for your care and kindness. Could not have asked for better.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
How does a FUT hair transplant permanently restore hair?
The hair on the top of the head is genetically different than the hair on the back and sides. This is evident by the fact that balding patterns and thinning hair tend to only occur on the top of the head. The reason a FUT hair transplant is able to permanently restore hair is that it takes hair from the back of the head and transplants it on the top. Once the hair is transplanted, the body recognizes it as normal hair and it remains in place throughout the course of a lifetime.
Is a FUT hair transplant the same thing as hair plugs?
A FUT hair transplant is a modern surgical procedure that produces natural results that patients love. Hair plugs were used many years ago to treat baldness but are now outdated. Hair plugs involve taking large plugs of hair from the back of the head and moving them to the front. Unnatural results were common and patient satisfaction was very low.
Will people be able to tell I had a FUT hair transplant procedure?
The advanced techniques Premier Image uses to perform FUT hair transplants ensure that no one should be able to tell patients have had the procedure once the final results are apparent.
How are procedures customized?
During initial consultations, the doctor evaluates patients and performs physical examinations. We create customized treatment plans to meet each patient’s individual needs. Some customizations that are commonly made include redesigning the hairline, adding density to thinning hair, and adding hair to the front, sides, and crown of the head. Premier Image takes great pride in the success of FUT hair transplants and believes the benefits of the procedure are endless. We take any and all measures to ensure patients receive completely customized results that meet their goals.
Do women have FUT hair transplants?
Thinning hair is a problem for many women. Premier Image commonly treats women with thinning hair by performing a FUT hair transplant to increase hair density. Medical treatment with Rogaine and Propecia ensures transplanted hair is healthy and strong.
Are their risks associated with a FUT hair transplant?
There are risks associated with all surgical procedures, including bleeding, anesthesia complications, infection, and unfavorable scarring. Premier Image takes great care to minimize all risks associated a FUT hair transplant. We go over each risk and outline the ways the doctor reduces them with patients during their initial consultation. The overwhelming majority of patients find that the benefits of the procedure far outweigh the risks.
Will I be limited in the types of hairstyles I can wear after my procedure?
Patients may wear any hairstyle they want once they have their final results.
Will wearing a hat cause my new hair to fall out?
New hair is permanently transplanted. Wearing a hat will not cause hair to thin, stop growing, or fall out.
Are their nonsurgical alternatives to a FUT hair transplant?
Rogaine® and 2% minoxidol may be used to improve the density and health of existing hair, however, there are no nonsurgical treatment options to help patients regrow lost hair.
Is it important to have my procedure performed by a specialist?
Specialists have the training, knowledge, and skills needed to provide patients with natural results that complement their facial features. Patients who receive the best results are those that have their procedure performed by a board-certified plastic surgeon who specializes in hair loss.
How do I know if a FUT hair transplant is right for me?
Men and women who are not happy with the appearance of thin hair, bald spots, and/or a receding hairline may benefit from a FUT hair transplant. The definitive way for patients to determine if the procedure is right for them is to attend an initial consultation with Premier Image.
Can I have the procedure if I just started to go bald?
Patients who are just starting to go bald may be candidates for the procedure. During an initial consultation, the doctor examines the head and scalp to access male pattern baldness. If a FUT hair transplant is an appropriate treatment option, the doctor will recommend the procedure.
Is there any way for me to know what type of results I can expect to see?
Premier Image has a large collection of FUT hair transplant before-and-after photos. During the initial consultation, the doctor carefully selects photos of patients who had similar conditions to the patient being treated. The doctor goes over the similarities and differences between the photos and the patient and explains what type of results the patient can expect after their procedure. Many patients find Premier Image’s attention to detail when explaining results to be a major factor in their decision to have the procedure.
What should I bring to my initial consultation?
Patients are asked to bring a list of the medications and herbal supplements they are currently taking to their initial consultation. Patients who have questions and/or concerns are encouraged to write them down and bring them to their consultation so they do not get forgotten. Patients who have pictures that they would like the doctor to review may bring them.
How do I arrange an initial consultation?
Patients who are ready to schedule their initial FUT hair transplant consultation with Premier Image may contact our office in Atlanta, GA at 770-457-6303.