Botox Cosmetic reduces facial wrinkles in your forehead, between your eyes, and in the delicate areas around your eyes. A protein that blocks nerve impulses when injected into the facial muscles under the skin, Botox can diminish the appearance of fine lines and crow’s feet that occur with natural aging.
By blocking the nerve impulses used in making facial expressions, Botox Cosmetic weakens facial muscles in the treated area and makes them relax. Once relaxed, your skin will flatten, diminishing any wrinkle or fine line. In additionto lessening facial wrinkles, botulinum toxin type A, can be used to treat people who suffer from excessive underarm sweating (hyperhidrosis).
Whether your underarm sweating is interfering with daily activities or you want to look younger, all three of our board certified plastic surgeons (Dr. Louis DeJoseph and Dr. Marc Klein)perform both types of treatments.
Learn about Allergan’s Brilliant Distinctions Program, a customer loyalty program through which you can earn discounts on future treatments and purchases at Premier Image Cosmetic and Laser Surgery.
BOTOX® is a prescription medicine that is injected into muscles and used:
- to treat overactive bladder symptoms such as a strong need to urinate with leaking or wetting accidents (urge urinary incontinence), a strong need to urinate right away (urgency), and urinating often (frequency) in adults 18 years and older when another type of medicine (anticholinergic) does not work well enough or cannot be taken
- to treat leakage of urine (incontinence) in adults 18 years and older with overactive bladder due to neurologic disease who still have leakage or cannot tolerate the side effects after trying an anticholinergic medication
- to prevent headaches in adults with chronic migraine who have 15 or more days each month with headache lasting 4 or more hours each day in people 18 years or older
- to treat increased muscle stiffness in elbow, wrist, finger, thumb, ankle, and toe muscles in people 18 years and older with upper and lower limb spasticity
- to treat the abnormal head position and neck pain that happens with cervical dystonia (CD) in people 16 years and older
- to treat certain types of eye muscle problems (strabismus) or abnormal spasm of the eyelids (blepharospasm) in people 12 years and older
BOTOX® is also injected into the skin to treat the symptoms of severe underarm sweating (severe primary axillary hyperhidrosis) when medicines used on the skin (topical) do not work well enough in people 18 years and older.
BOTOX® Cosmetic is a prescription medicine that is injected into muscles and used to improve the look of moderate to severe frown lines between the eyebrows (glabellar lines) in adults for a short period of time (temporary).
It is not known whether BOTOX® is safe or effective to treat increased stiffness in upper limb muscles other than those in the elbow, wrist, fingers, and thumb, or in lower limb muscles other than those in the ankle and toes. BOTOX® has not been shown to help people perform task-specific functions with their upper limbs or increase movement in joints that are permanently fixed in position by stiff muscles. BOTOX® is not meant to replace your existing physical therapy or other rehabilitation that may have been prescribed.