Microblading is a popular procedure used to give you beautiful eyebrows with a thicker, fuller finish. Enhance and restore the natural appearance of the eyebrows using this semi-permanent makeup technique. The beauty experts at Premier Image Cosmetic & Laser Surgery in Atlanta, GA, regularly perform microblading procedures using a natural feathering approach.
The eyebrows frame the face and transform its features. When the eyebrows lose their shape and natural appearance, a person’s self-confidence may be affected. Many patients try to compensate for eyebrow changes with makeup. This type of treatment approach is generally not effective and tends to leave patients feeling more frustrated and upset. To truly change the eyebrows, patients are encouraged to consider microblading.
Microblading is a new method of applying semi-permanent makeup. The popularity of microblading has steadily risen in the United States since the first procedures were performed in 2015. When compared to other forms of permanent and semi-permanent makeup, microblading offers the following distinct advantages:
- Smaller needles are used. The blade used during microblading contains needles that are three times smaller than those traditionally used to apply permanent makeup.
- Superficial cuts are made. A customized look can be created because crisp, thin, and straight lines (rather than dots) are gently cut over the surface of the skin.
- High-quality pigments are used. The colors used are made from high-quality pigments that perfectly match the natural pigment of the eyebrows.
In order to produce maximum results, patients undergo two microblading procedures, performed 6 weeks apart. Following their procedures, patients have full, natural-looking eyebrows for 9 to 18 months.
The Microblading Procedure
The total time for the first procedure is generally 2-3 hours. The procedure is performed on an outpatient basis. A topical anesthetic is used to numb the surgical area so the patient does not feel pain. A microblading specialist performs the procedure as follows:
- The eyebrows are drawn. A waterproof pencil is used to draw customized eyebrows on the patient. Before any microblading takes place, the patient is able to look at the eyebrows to make sure they are happy with them.
- A special instrument with needles of varying diameters is used to make precise individual strokes that harmoniously blend with the existing eyebrows.
- Excess ink is removed. Excess ink is gently wiped off.
Once the procedure is complete, patients can see their new eyebrows. Aside from some redness around the area where the procedure was performed, patients typically do not experience any side effects and are able to leave shortly after their procedure.
The second microblading procedure is typically much shorter than the first. For most patients, it is a touch-up procedure used to address areas where pigments did not settle properly.
The total recovery time for a microblading procedure is typically 10 days. This time frame is usually dependent upon the age and healing processes of the patient. There is little to no pain associated with microblading. The most common side effects after microblading include redness, itching, and flaking around the surgical area. In most cases, these side effects can be minimized or completely avoided when patients adhere to the post-operative instructions given to them prior to their procedure. A general guideline for patients to follow includes the following recovery recommendations:
- Avoid putting water, lotion, makeup, or soap near the surgical area for 7 days
- Avoid activities that cause sweating for 10 days
- Avoid direct exposure to sunlight for 14 days
It is important for patients to know that these recovery recommendations are also necessary to maximize and prolong their results.
Patients will see initial results immediately after their procedure. Over the course of 2-4 weeks, results will improve as pigment settles in and harmoniously blends with the existing eyebrows and skin. As previously mentioned, a second procedure is performed around the 4-week mark to ensure the perfect look is achieved. Results usually last 9 to 18 months.
Microblading is commonly performed on patients who wish to address the following:
- A lack of eyebrow definition
- A reduction of eyebrow length
- A loss of eyebrow hair
In some cases, microblading may also be used to fully reconstruct eyebrows that have little to no hair. Candidates for the procedure are typically healthy adults with no serious medical conditions. The procedure is generally not performed on the following individuals:
- Patients who are pregnant
- Patients who have skin conditions like eczema, shingles, or rashes
- Patients who are prone to keloids or experience post-inflammatory hypopigmentation
Patients who are interested in undergoing a microblading procedure are encouraged to arrange an initial consultation.
An Initial Consultation at Premier Image Cosmetic & Laser Surgery
During the first part of an initial consultation, the following occurs:
- A detailed medical history is taken
- The patient’s eyebrows and face shape are analyzed
- Pictures are taken for review and comparison purposes
The second part of the consultation includes a conversation regarding specific issues the patient wants to address and the outcome they would like to achieve. Once a customized treatment plan is created and agreed upon, the specialist invites patients to ask any questions or bring up concerns so they can be addressed. When the patient is comfortable and ready, the procedure may be performed or scheduled for a later date.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
There are risks associated with all cosmetic surgery procedures. Because the specialists at Premier Image Cosmetic and Laser Surgery use aseptic techniques and sterile needles, equipment, and consumables, the risks associated with microblading are significantly decreased when you choose to have your procedure performed at our clinic.
Microblading and getting a tattoo are very different. The main difference between the two is that microblading uses thin lines to implant pigment superficially. Unlike a tattoo, the color created during microblading remains natural and does not fade.
No deep incisions are made during microblading. Sutures and dressings are not necessary.
Because a topical anesthetic is applied before the procedure, patients typically experience little to no pain.
The blade used during microblading does not make a noise.
You can return to work the same day as your procedure.
For the first 2 weeks after the procedure, you should avoid the following:
• Strenuous physical activity that causes sweating
• Tanning and all activities that involve direct exposure to sunlight
• Saunas, Jacuzzi tubs, and hot baths
You should also avoid swimming and should not submerge your face in water.
Smoking and drinking alcohol can negatively affect the body’s healing processes and should be avoided after your procedure.
Why should I choose Premier Image Cosmetic and Laser Surgery for my microblading procedure?
Our specialists are trained, certified, and experienced. They produce consistent results and have a long track record of satisfied clients. They always use the highest quality pigments and up-to-date aseptic techniques. When you choose our clinic, you can expect maximum results.
What should I bring to my initial consultation?
It is helpful if you bring the following to your initial consultation:
- A list of the medications you are currently taking
- A list of the medications you are allergic to
- A list of questions for your specialist
You may also bring pictures for your specialist to review.
How do I determine if I am a candidate for microblading?
The first step to determining if you are a candidate is to arrange an initial consultation. It should be noted that the procedure is not performed on patients who are pregnant or have hepatitis.
How do I arrange my initial consultation?
When you are ready for your initial consultation with one of our microblading specialists, you may contact Premier Image Cosmetic and Laser Surgery at 888-455-FACE. We are conveniently located just outside of Atlanta, GA, in Sandy Springs, GA.